Friday, April 21, 2006

Movies I don't get tired of

These are some of my favorite movies, in no particular order. I'm not usually one to buy a DVD or watch a movie a 2nd or 3rd time, but these I'll watch again and again:
  • Saving Private Ryan - That opening sequence of D-Day is gut-wrenching (literally), but wow, what a miracle of film-making.
  • What about Bob? - I'm sorry but this is the funniest Bill Murray movie ever. Did you know it was directed by Frank Oz, of Muppets fame?
  • Forrest Gump - This movie touches on so many issues of the heart: relationships, grace, God, etc.
  • The Sixth Sense - Yeah, I know...once you've seen the ending that kinda affects all future viewings, but I still think it's awesome. Those scenes where Cole sees dead people still send chills down my spine!
  • Black Hawk Down - So sad, but so well done it's amazing. Makes you admire our guys walking down those streets in Iraq right now.
  • The Wizard of Oz - I have so many associations with this movie related to my childhood...all good ones. At one time, this movie was shown by one of the TV networks at the same time each year. It was a tradition in my family to pop popcorn and watch it. Those flying monkeys gave me nightmares. I always get choked up at the ending.
  • A Beautiful Mind - The (mostly) true story of John Nash, a compelling journey into the mind of schizophrenia. Russell Crowe is great.
  • JFK - No, I'm not a fan of Oliver Stone. But I go nuts anytime a TV show about the Kennedy assassination comes on, and I think Stone did a great job even if he did rewrite history.
  • The Pink Panther - I laugh my head off at Peter Sellers.
  • Groundhog Day - Another great Bill Murray movie. And Andie McDowell reminds me of the town I grew up in South Carolina because her hometown is 30 miles from mine.
  • The Matrix - Indescribable it's so good. There are lots of connections with the Christian faith in this movie. Too bad the next two Matrix movies didn't measure up.
  • When Harry Met Sally - It seems to always be on TV and I almost always watch at least a part of it.
  • Signs - That M. Night Shyalaman guy is something else. My favorite scene in this movie is when the alien creeps out from behind a building on a TV news clip.

There doesn't seem to be a logic or rhyme or reason to this list, but there you go.

6 comments:

rob said...

some of these I haven't seen. Ryan is so graphic (rumored) that I don't want to see it. Maybe on TV it'll be better. Bob is awesome, so is Gump. Never seen Sixth Sense...I know how it ends so I con't care. Want to see Black Hawk, just haven't. Oz is okay. JFK was good. Pink Panter never sat through. Groundhog is great! Andie is from Gaffney, right? Matrix is good, Sally is okay, never seen Signs.

Now, what about all 6 Star Wars movies and the classic comedy of all time, Fletch! Ghostbusters has to be in the list, and I'll add Fiddler on the Roof. And since you like local SC movies, what about Radio?

Mike said...

Man, rob, you need to get out there and see some more movies! Yeah, I've been asked why Star Wars, LOTR, and Narnia didn't make my list of favorites. I probably should have included Star Wars 4-6. But I'm just not a huge fan of the epic battle/special effects genre of movies.

Paul said...

Great list! I would agree with all of those. My personal favs would add to that list though. Shawshank Redemption, I could watch it endlessly. Amelie, the funniest movie in subtitles. American President, great one liners. Also, A River Runs Through it and Jeremiah Johnson and The Natural... Oh nevermind. I can't quit.

karin said...

I agree, Great list!

I never get tired of Dead Poets Society. And Sound of Music. Or Good Will Hunting.

James Sutton said...

Mike,

You should check out the movie Memento. It's kind-of like the Matrix meets A Beautiful Mind.

Also has some very clear parallels of our sinfulness. If I were doing a Sunday School class on movies (not that anyone would ever do something like that!) I might include that one on the list.

Good stuff.

Mark Bates said...

I am just thankful that you didn't include Zoolander in your list.