Friday, April 14, 2006

My top ten favorite Beatle songs

I just never get tired of listening to the Beatles. I wish they were still around making studio albums. It's hard to pick just ten, but here are the 10 songs I like listening to the most:

1. The "You Never Give Me Your Money" medley on Abbey Road (yeah, I know, I'm cheating...that's really like 8 songs, but it's my blog and I can do what I want)

2. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" - one of the best hard rock songs ever - also on Abbey Road

3. "Blackbird" - one of Paul's best - on the White Album

4. "Taxman" - some of my favorite Beatle songs were written by George, not John or Paul - on Revolver (my favorite of all the Beatle albums)

5. "Here, There, and Everywhere" - I'm a sucker for Paul's softer songs - on Revolver

6. "And Your Bird Can Sing" - love the guitar work on this song - on Revolver

7. "I Want To Tell You" - one of George's best, even though most people think it's weird - from Revolver

8. "If I Fell" - from A Hard Day's Night

9. "I've Just Seen a Face" - kind of a bluegrass number - on the original US version of Rubber Soul

10. "Fixing a Hole" - I have no idea what it means, but I love the song - on Sgt. Pepper

7 comments:

rob said...

Two of my favorites are "I'm So Tired" from the White Album, and "Revolution", from the same album I think.

catbird said...

With the exception of Blackbird and Taxman (both remakes; Dionne Farris and Stevie Ray Vaughn), I've never heard a single song you listed.
Pretty sad, huh?

Mike said...

Not sad...but you must be young!

Paul said...

I once listened to "Hey Jude" repeatedly over 20 times. I could do it again. I'm not proud.

Seriously though, I would be there with Cathy on ignorance. I'll have to check them out if you recommend them so much.

PaulF said...

One of my favorite things is buying an album because I heard the song on the radio, and then finding hidden gems you'll never hear on the radio- or at least not as often as the "Popular" song.

I happen to like "You've got to hide your love away". It's kind of a sad song, but it tugs at you in a hauntingly emotional way.

I want to see a list of your top ten Woody Guthrie songs.

Mike said...

Woody Guthrie?! I'm not that old.

Spike said...

Mike,

I'm still trying to get over the fact that YOU have a blog.

But other than that, I've gotta say that I have always loved the Beatles. In high school there were two things that I listened to. One was Soundtracks from movies -- the other was the beatles.

Katie and I recently saw a Beatles cover band play with the Raleigh Symphony Orchestra. It was awesome. If Orlando has something like that you and Suzie HAVE to go. It was so much better than I thought it would be.

One thing about the Beatles, though. I think they kinda coasted on their previous work late in their career.

I heard that they did "Hey Jude" in one take. If you listen closely you can hear them messing up the lyrics a bit -- coming in too early or what not. Do you think they were like "Ah, good enough. We're the Beatles. People will buy it!"?

If so, I guess they were right. "Hey Jude" is one of the most popular songs of all time. And inspite of the mistakes (or because of them) I think it's one of their most brilliant.

Speaking of wierd things to pair with the Beatles you've gotta check this out:
Chris Bliss

Then once you've watched that you need to watch this guy:
Diss Bliss