Sunday, May 28, 2006

Mission: Impossible III

I know, I know. It's Tom Cruise. But I must say I really enjoyed this movie! John Eldredge, in his book Wild at Heart, says "in the heart of every man is a desperate desire for a battle to fight, an adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue" (pg. 9). Well, M:i:III has all three. Ethan Hunt's battle is against Owen Davian (superbly played by Philip Seymour Hoffman), his adventure is to recover the Rabbit's Foot, and his beauty to rescue is Katie -- er, I mean, Julia, who happens to look a lot like Katie. (The difference is that in the movie Cruise gets married.) I was pleasantly surprised that the language was tolerable and the skin minimal.

I agree with Eldredge when he says that the three desires of battle to fight, adventure to live, and beauty to rescue are "written so deeply into my heart I . . . can no longer disregard them without losing my soul" (pg. 9). Movies like M:i:III resonate with men because we want to accomplish the impossible mission, do something of value to others, and get the girl. We're pretty simple really. It's the way God wired Adam and his descendants.

You may not be able to go this far with me, but I can't see a movie like M:i:III without making the jump to the person and work of Christ. He took Satan on in battle at the cross and crushed his head (Genesis 3:15). Jesus is engaged in the greatest adventure of all time: building the kingdom of God (Matthew 16:18). And He is daily pursuing His beautiful Bride, the Church (Ephesians 5:25-27). Mission Accomplished.

1 comment:

James Sutton said...

I have to say historically I've loved Tom Cruise's movies. Top Gun, Interview with a Vampire, Jerry McGuire, A Few Good Men, etc.

However, recently my opinion of ole Tommy Boy has reached rock bottom. This was the first time ever when I've experienced being in a movie theatre, watching a movie and having trouble pulling for the hero because I had such a low opinion of the actor.

Nevertheless, I was able to overcome my bias and at the end of the day I liked the movie too.

Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laurence Fishburne had a hand in saving it for me. I like just about anything those guys have done (maybe with the exception of the Matrix sequels).

I can definately go with you in a comparison of Christ and Hunt. Careful though, if Cruise reads this he'll believe he's Jesus. Or nevermind, maybe he already does. ;)