Thursday, May 25, 2006

Some things I can't live without

I know that the theme of my blog is "A Journey in Contentment." I know I'm supposed to be content whatever state I'm in (Philippians 4:12). But here are some things I'd probably have difficulty living without:

* First on my list is Diet Pepsi (although Diet Coke is OK in a pinch). I'm not a coffee or tea drinker, so this is my preferred source of caffeine.

* Music. I am constantly humming some song in my head, or listening to music on my iPod or CD player or radio, or playing my guitar, or drumming my fingers in time to some song in my head.

* 24. It's my favorite TV show. It's going to be tough waiting until January '07 to find out how Jack is going to escape the clutches of the Chinese.

* Movies. I love them. But it's NOT true that I've never seen a movie I didn't like (as many at UPC keep saying about me!).

* Dental floss. I think one of the marks of aging is that I'm constantly getting food stuck between my teeth. If it stays there long enough I get a toothache, and then a headache. Floss is the most wonderful invention at times like that. I have 3 dental floss dispensers: one at work, one in my car, and one at home. So I'm never very far away from my floss. Even if I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, it is there.

* Panera Bread. I spend most of my weekdays in several places. Two of those places are Panera Bread restaurants in Orlando.

* Fox News. Although I must say, I'm getting to the point that I can't watch or listen to the news for very long. Still, Fox News is the cable news network that I can stomach the longest, and I think they are pretty fair and balanced . . . for conservatives like me.

* My foam pillow. I don't like most pillows because they are too soft. But this one is "just right."

* Thorlo socks. They are the best thing for running and working out in. When I don't wear them I get blisters.

* My family. My wife Suzy is still my best friend and the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. She knows my love languages and speaks them. And my kids are just the greatest kids in the world. It has been so wonderful now relating to them more as peers than as kids. I know what the apostle John meant when he said, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth" (3 John 1:4).

What about you - what are some of your essentials? (And don't feel like you have to say the spiritual thing. I'm assuming you know we can't live without the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, prayer, Bible, church, etc. I know I can't.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't live without:
1. My reef flip flops - As soon as I am off work the "real shoes" get switched out for my reefs. Provided that I actually need to have shoes on. :-)
2. My Family - It is really difficult for me to not have quality time with my family. We are all really close and I love that!
3. Mr. Boots - my doggie is a must! I have only had him for a year but his love and affection for me is something that I need every day.
4. PJ pants - another thing that goes on as soon as I get home from work. After wearing "dress clothes" all day I like to have something to relax in.
- Lindsey


-Lindsey

karin said...

1) Creamy Peter Pan peanut butter.

I like to keep one in the fridge and one in the pantry, AT ALL TIMES. The fridge is for the digging in with the knife right there in the kitchen. The pantry one is for easy spreading for a later lunch. Nevermind that the fridge is stocked with food: if I don't have my Peanut Butter, we have NOTHING.

2) Sweet Tea.

It's what Jesus drank. I'm sure of it. 'Nuff said.

3) a Blue Pilot pen.

Preferences are the G-2 or the Pilot Precise extra fine. And it MUST write blue. Forms requiring "black ink only" are straight from the Devil.

PaulF said...

I'll leave out the obvious ones.

1. A Kent Hughes sermon. He preaches at College Church in Wheaton. Find 20 years of his sermons at desiringgod.org (You will love the Sermon on the Mount series and the Joshua series)
2. Ocean Potion 50 SPF. It dries in 30 seconds.
3. Books. I'm always in the middle of 2 or 3.
4. Coffee.
5. Bible studies / small groups. I've loved everyone I've been in.

Mark Bates said...

Mike,
You disappoint me. Pepsi? You call yourself a Southerner and your prefer Pepsi over Coke? Pepsi is from New York. Coke was originally from Vicksburg, MS and now is in Atlanta. How in the world could you like Pepsi over Coke? After working together all these years, you think you know a guy. First, he likes Zoolander. Now, I find out he likes Pepsi. Don't tell me you like the Yankees, too?

I have often told my girls that being a Bates means:
a) Coke, not Pepsi
b) Krispy Kreme, not Dunkin'
c) Presbyterian, not Baptist
d) Bama, not Auburn (not that they care about either)
e) Butter, not margarine (although they prefer margarine with that filmy taste)
f) Braves, not Yankees
g) Republican, not Democrat

Later on, I will put on my blog the things I can't live without. Good idea, Mike (except for the Pepsi part)

doodlebugmom said...

I used to live on Diet Pepsi too, until my surgeon said no caffeine...ouch! It was touch but I am now a CF Diet Mountain Dew or CF Diet Dr. Pepper drinker. CF Diet Pepsi was just not the same.

Anonymous said...

I do have to point out that while Mark is complaining about your Pepsi addiction he is the one who drinks Un-sweet tea. How can he be from the south and drink UN-sweet tea? It is almost like breaking a commandment or something!
-Lindsey

Patricia said...

Karin, I'm surprised you didn't mention Starbucks!

I can't live without:
- my medicine
- chocolate chip cookies
- water (it's mostly what I drink)
- my imagination
- sci-fi
- did I mention chocolate chip cookies?

karin said...

Wait, Mark drinks Un-sweet tea???? That has to be heresy. I was always raised that unsweetened tea was the Devil's device.