Friday, June 09, 2006

He's almost 64

I suppose you've heard by now why Sunday, June 18, is significant for the human race. Besides being the Lord's Day, and Father's Day in the US, it's the day Paul McCartney turns 64. You're a lot younger than me if you don't know what's so great about that.

On the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band record album of 1967, the second song on Side 2 was "When I'm Sixty-Four," written and sung by Paul to the accompaniment of a clarinet quartet. (I still have my Sgt. Pepper album in a box somewhere in the house.) I've read that John Lennon hated the song and didn't want it on the album, but now it's a favorite of many and I'm sure you'll be hearing it a lot for the next week or so. Here are some of the lyrics:

When I get older, losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine,
Birthday greeting, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'til quarter to three,
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too -
And if you say the word
I could stay with you.

Here's some boring trivia about the song for those of you who, like me, enjoy boring trivia about the Beatles:
  • It was the first song to be recorded for the Sgt. Pepper album. Track 1 was laid down on December 8, 1966. (I was 12!)
  • It appears in the stupid animated Beatle film, Yellow Submarine.
  • It was featured in an Allstate Insurance commercial, with John Lennon's son Julian singing the song.
  • McCartney reportedly came up with the melody at the age of 15, when he was a member of the Quarrymen.
  • It was the theme song for the 1982 film The World According to Garp, starring Robin Williams.
  • Paul meant the song as a tribute to his father, who had been a band leader back in the 1920s. His father was 64 when the album was released.
  • An episode of Alf (February 12, 1990) was entitled "When I'm Sixty-Four."
  • In an interview, John said about this song, "I would never even dream of writing a song like that."
  • Paul was 24 when he wrote the song.
In just twelve years I'll be 64. That's a staggering thought! I'm already losing my hair. I'm somewhat handy but I don't recall ever mending a fuse. Suzy and I have had a couple gardens and I don't mind digging up weeds for a while. We've never been to the Isle of Wight, but I'm glad to say Suzy needs me and feeds me. Hopefully, by God's grace, that will still be true when I'm sixty-four.


2 comments:

ande said...

I knew I knew that song from somewhere... But of course, it was episode #72 of ALF, an all time classic.

James Sutton said...

Yeah... the Beatles were nothing until Alf took them mainstream!

;)

Ande do you still sleep with that Alf doll? Or did Kelly put an end to that?