Sunday, June 11, 2006

"Searching": My thoughts on Don Miller's book

In previous posts, I reflect on several chapters in Don Miller's book, Searching for God Knows What. Overall I believe this is an important book for Christians to read. I don't agree with all of it. I think Don sets up a false dichotomy between the relational and the propositional, as if you have to choose one or the other. It's really "both-and." You have to know what you believe and why you believe it, not only who you believe. In John 8:32, Jesus did not say, "You will know me, and I will set you free." He said, "You will know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH will set you free."

In spite of this, Miller's book moved me to see Jesus and his love for people with greater clarity, to read the Bible with a fresh curiosity, and to look at evangelicalism with a more critical set of eyes.

If you want to read everything I wrote about Searching for God Knows What, here's a handy index (I invite your comments too!):

Searching for God Knows What
A Box of Letters
Community
Jesus
Wednesday's Word #1
Wednesday's Word #2
Evangelism
Examining the Heart

No comments: