Thursday, June 29, 2006

Talk about a wrong turn...

Today I was supposed to meet a couple of guys for lunch at a restaurant near the Florida Mall. I've been to the Florida Mall a million times. I always take the same route to get there from my side of Orlando. But today I thought I'd be different and follow the Mapquest- recommended route. All was well until I was almost at the restaurant. Mapquest said turn right at this particular intersection. I turned right, but it was not the "right" right. Before I knew it I was on the Florida Turnpike. There was no exit in sight to let me turn around. So I drove for miles, all the way to I-4. Then I had to exit on the John Young Parkway, drive south to Sand Lake Road, go east to Orange Blossom Trail, then south to the restaurant. I don't even want to know how many miles I had to drive in a circle like that...all because I took the wrong right turn.

I think of Proverbs 14:12 - "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."

2 comments:

PaulF said...

Don't feel too bad. One time I sent my mother a detailed map to get to my house. She was coming up from Miami with two of our nieces. Everything was fine until they got off the 417 at Curry Ford just like they were supposed to have done. They didn't think the way I diagrammed was correct so they went the opposite way!!!
Once they realized their mistake, they called me and I told them not to worry and gave them further directions - they went the opposite way again!! They called again and I told them some more directions.
Well, you can guess what happened. They were actually at the corner of Curry Ford and Alafaya. All they had to do was cross the road. Nope, they turned around again, thinking they had gone too far.
I think I learned the meaning of patience that day.

Matt said...

Everyone in my family knows me uncanny ability to pick the wrong direction EVERY time.

In fact I would be a walking GPS if I decided which way to go and then picked the opposite.

Mike, if you havent seen "Cars" yet go check it out. There is a great (tiny) subplot involving a lost couple.