Sunday, June 18, 2006

Took my sons to "Sgt. Pepper" Saturday night

Every now and then, Hard Rock Live in Orlando puts on a "Classic Albums Live" concert featuring some - well, classic rock album - played song-for-song and note-for-note by talented musicians. This past Saturday I took my sons David and Michael to hear the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band album performed by a singing group that was backed up by the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra. It was great!

Sgt. Pepper, of course, is one of my favorite records (see my June 9 post) as well as an all-time rock music classic. I remember buying the LP as soon as it came out. I was 13. At first it was the strangest thing I'd ever heard, and nothing like the Beatles I had come to know and love. But the more I listened to Sgt. Pepper the more I loved it, and I love it still. The "Classic Albums Live" bunch did an amazing job reproducing the sounds and the feel of the music that helped shape me and the rest of my generation.

What was most moving to me Saturday night was not the music, however. It was the experience of taking my boys (ages 25 and 17) to hear songs that I first heard as a young 13-year old. They knew all the lyrics by heart, and could anticipate every change of key and tempo, because they love Sgt. Pepper too! Goes to show how in some ways the "generation gap" does not exist anymore. My kids love the same music I did when I was their age - and still do.

Music has been a strong link between my sons and me. I'm so thankful we have that in common. We're looking forward to the "Classic Albums Live" performance of the Beatles' White Album on September 1!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No more generation gap? But do you like the other music your sons like? We in the parental generation always tend not appreciate what the youngsters do. Do you understand all their hip-hop and punk (or why they like it)? I don't!

Mike said...

Fortunately for me, my kids are not into hip-hop, rap, punk, etc., and no, I don't know why anyone likes that stuff! My sons' musical choices are much more to my liking. Not all parents can say that. My point in saying "in some ways the generation gap does not exist anymore" is that I think modern popular culture has created a much broader consensus than existed when my parents were my age. There was absolutely no connection between my parents' taste (for example) in music at that time and my own. Now, you have Paul McCartney still rocking out on stage at 64. The Rolling Stones performed at the Super Bowl and there were kids dancing on the field!