Monday, July 10, 2006

Spent today in the ER

This was a strange day! About 10:00 a.m. I got a call from my son Michael, who told me he was in the urgent care clinic because he had just cut his finger at work. (He works at Boston Market as a "Culinary Handler." Translation: he strings chickens, mops floors, cuts open boxes of turkey, sirloin, and chicken and gets stinking dirty! But it's a job, and he's faithful.)

So I went to the clinic, met up with my bleeding son, and after a long wait we were told we should go to the ER. So we went downtown to the hospital where my wife Suzy works. We were there from, oh, noon-ish to about 7:00 p.m. They looked at his finger, cleaned it all up, and said he'd need surgery tomorrow by a hand surgeon, because he had cut strands of a tendon. So he'll go see the surgeon tomorrow. Right now he's in a sizeable bandage with a splint to keep his thumb still. Poor guy had to get several shots and stitches.

Here's what I learned about fatherhood today: It hurts more to see your child in pain than it does to be in pain yourself. You can watch some other man's child get stitches in his hand, but not your own. Honestly, I had to leave the examining room when Michael was getting shots in his hand and in his butt! Not just because I don't like the sight of needles, but because that was my child getting needles in his body!

So just think about this . . . God the Father let His one and only Son, the Child He loved infinitely, be tortured and beaten and nailed to a cross, and didn't intervene. He felt the nails Himself, He absorbed in Himself the sickening sights, sounds, and smells of crucifixion, He endured the agony of watching His own Son suffer and die for wretches like me. Why? Because He loved us more than He wanted to spare His Son.

I would not have gone through what I suffered today with Michael for the sake of some poor homeless guy on the streets of Orlando. I'm sorry, but I love Michael too much, and that guy too little. I would have done anything to spare Michael, even allow myself to be stitched up and operated on if it were possible. But God is not like me. "God showed how much He loved us by having Christ die for us, even though we were sinful" (Romans 5:8, CEV).

To compare my sufferings today to those of God the Father is of course to grossly underestimate the enormity of Christ's agony and the Father's pain. My point is just to say that I was reminded today of God's love for us. God was not a bystander on the day Jesus was crucified -- He was intimately involved in the sufferings of Christ, for the sake of His people. He winced every time the hammer hit the spikes. He ached with love . . . for you and me.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I am sorry to hear about your day. I'll be praying for all of you.