Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 memories

I have vivid memories of September 11, 2001.

I was in Jackson, MS, visiting my daughter Rebecca and her husband. Rebecca was about 3 weeks away from giving birth to her first child and I wanted to see her pregnant one last time. I woke up around 7 a.m. that day -- it was a Tuesday -- and took Scott to work. He was youth director at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Jackson at the time, and Rebecca and I wanted to keep the car that day. After I dropped him off I headed over to Dunkin' Donuts to pick up breakfast for Rebecca and me. On the way I turned on the radio. The John Boy and Billy Show was on. But instead of hearing them laughing and joking around, I heard them talking about a plane that had just hit the World Trade Center.

So I forgot about the donuts, hurried to Rebecca's house, and turned on CNN. Needless to say, Rebecca and I were glued to the TV the rest of the day. While it was a horribly sad day, I was glad I was able to share in it with my daughter. It made the day that much more memorable.

The airports were closed the next day when I was scheduled to fly back to Orlando, so I rented a car and drove home. I remember that trip well. It was surreal. I've never been so glad to be home with my wife, son, and friends.

No comments: