Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Grandkids

Here's a picture of me with my new grandson when he was just hours old in the hospital. That was a couple of weeks ago.

I've already told you what I like about having grandkids. Now I want to tell you what I don't like:
  1. I live too far away from them! Last week I was at a get-together where we shared some things we hope to do before we die. I said that one of my hopes is to live in the same city as at least one of my kids. That way we get to "help" them with their children as often as we want...and be near them too, of course.
  2. I have a hard time understanding my 2-yr. old grandson Eben. (Read his amazing story here.) He speaks a language all his own. He'll say, for example: "I bont a dip a dat." (That means he wants a sip of whatever drink I have in my hand.) But that's an easy one. Most of the time I can't tell what in the world he's trying to say. So I rely on Tyler, my 5-yr. old granddaughter, to interpret for me.
  3. I want to buy them everything in the world and I know I can't, and shouldn't.
  4. This one's also about Eben. He is VERY particular about certain things, but like I said above I can't understand what he's saying so he gets upset with me. Last time I was alone with him, I took him to Barnes & Noble for a little "Dad-Dad and Eben" outing. (I'm Dad-Dad.) Eben wanted me to read a book to him. Great idea, I said. So he led me over to these two green chairs where kids sit to listen to books. I sat down in one of the chairs, and he sat in the other one. I was about to start reading the book when he said, "NO, not wike dat." So I got up and moved the chair over a little bit, because that's what I thought he wanted me to do. I sat down and started to read and once again Eben said, "NO, not dat." So I stood up again, put my chair at a different angle from his, and he said, "NO, NO!" Then Eben got up and started turning my chair around backwards and pushed it over in the corner of the little children's area. Now my chair was facing away from Eben's chair. But I thought, OK, whatever you want... Well, when I sat down this time, that's when he REALLY got frustrated and started crying. I gave up. We went over and played with Thomas the Train.
  5. I could also tell you about the time I took Eben to McDonalds and tried to help him eat a Breakfast Burrito. (A disgusting piece of technology-slash-food, that's for sure.) Well, it was just like the chair episode. There's a certain way Eben likes to eat Breakfast Burritos. No other way will work. All I know is, it has something to do with the way the paper is wrapped around the Burrito. I couldn't figure it out. So once again I made him upset.
  6. The last thing I don't like about having grandkids is that I have to say good-bye to them. Which leads me back to my first item in the list!

1 comment:

Mark Bates said...

You say you love your grandchildren. Yet, you feed them breakfast burritos? Don't you care about their health? Don't you care what you are doing to future generations of Americans by feeding them that processed, fast "food" stuff? Every good grandparent knows that you are supposed to feed them Krispy Kremes. Honestly, Mike. I am disappointed.