Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Little Willies

I've been trying to broaden my musical tastes lately. I came to the realization that I'm still listening to the same music I listened to when I was 20. I like classic rock, the Beatles, James Taylor, etc., but I've got to MOVE ON!!

So in my effort to break out of my rut I've been finding out there is some really good music coming from people younger than 50!

One example is The Little Willies. Their self-titled debut record (which you can listen to on their website) came out in March of this year. They remind me of The Band with a bit more of a country sound. Of course the main attraction of TLW is the sultry Norah Jones on piano and vocals. There's a tongue-in-cheek flavor to the whole CD which makes it fun to listen to, sort of like a Barenaked Ladies record.

The album features covers of songs written by country artists like Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Jr., Kris Kristofferson, and Jimmy Driftwood. Norah Jones' piano playing, Jim Campilongo's guitar solos, and Jon Dryden's contributions on organ sparkle.

Play this CD and imagine you're driving along the Mississippi Gulf Coast on Highway 90 back in the 1950s, listening to a local AM radio station. You'll love the experience.

3 comments:

rob said...

Okay, so in order to expand your music, you wanted to not listen to music from the 50s and 60s. So you found a band from the 90s (or some such) who plays music that reminds you of the 50s?

Mike, most definitions of broadening one's music is not usually by the date of birth of the performer, but the style of music.

Try again.

Mike said...

Ouch!

rob said...

;-)