Monday, December 04, 2006

Little tastes of God

Psalm 34:8 says, "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him."

I'm convinced that God reveals Himself in all sorts of ways throughout our days, and we fail to "taste" Him. We fail to see Him in the things that happen to us, or hear Him in the sounds of nature, or smell Him in the air, or feel Him in the people and things that surround us.

So today I tried to think of some of the ways God gives me little "tastes" of Himself:
  • Coming home to a house my wife has decorated with creativity.
  • Driving past the Merita Bread factory on I-4 at night and smelling their fresh-baked bread.
  • Getting a call from one of my kids.
  • Looking out my back porch just as three sandhill cranes walk past.
  • Hearing Jonathan and Amanda Noel sing together on Sunday morning.
  • Enjoying a close game of raquetball with my buddies.
  • Listening to my son play his guitar upstairs.
  • Watching as a great blue heron takes to flight out of our pond.
  • Sharing a meal with friends.
  • Getting a backrub from my wife.
  • Listening to a Tim Keller sermon on my iPod.
  • Getting a cinnamon crunch bagel and a Diet Pepsi at Panera.
Not earth-shaking things...but little ways God lets me taste and see how good He is.

What little tastes of God have you had lately?

3 comments:

Hana Ryman said...

This is great...thank you for this refreshing message. My little "taste" today was taking a walk with my husband, Matt.

Kristin Stewart said...

Mike, thanks for the reminder. Love your list. Miss that Merita bakery!
Kristin

michael said...

That's a great reminder to look for and appreciate God's blessings, and even to be more optimistic about life in general. Sometimes it's all too easy to focus on the challenges and frustrations I'm going through. Actively looking for the little slices of heaven that we can find here on earth is a great counter-balance. Thanks!