Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

It's Christmas Day. It's an unusual Christmas for me, for several reasons. One is that, because my wife is a nurse and is obligated to work on some holidays, she is working today. She's spreading Christmas cheer to people who are sick and injured, which is a good thing to do. But that leaves my son and me to have a quasi-Christmas without her for the first time ever. We're going to see a movie and go to a manly-man restaurant, and that will be fun. We'll have our family Christmas on Saturday, after all the kids and grandkids arrive.

Another reason it's an unusual Christmas is that it's 77 degrees outside. Not exactly a "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow" kind of Christmas day.

And yet another reason is that I've kinda downplayed the usual Christmas hoopla this year. I haven't strung up one string of lights on the house. I haven't yet played my two favorite Christmas CD's (Amy Grant's A Christmas Album from 1983 and Michael W. Smith's Christmas, 1989). Even our Christmas tree is fake.

Nevertheless, it is a merry Christmas. I have a wonderful family, a loving church, great friends, health, and way more blessings than I deserve. Best of all, Jesus Christ is my Lion and Lamb. He came 2,000 years ago...and still comes everyday...bringing grace and peace to the world.

Here is my Christmas gift to anyone reading this. These are words from one of my favorite Christmas carols:

Thou who wast rich beyond all splendour,
All for love's sake becamest poor;
Thrones for a manger didst surrender,
Sapphire-paved courts for stable floor.
Thou who wast rich beyond all splendour,
All for love's sake becomes poor.

Thou who art God beyond all praising,
All for love's sake becamest man;
Stooping so low, but sinners raising
Heavenwards by thine eternal plan.
Thou who art God beyond all praising,
All for love's sake becamest man.

Thou who art love beyond all telling,
Saviour and King, we worship thee.
Emmanuel, within us dwelling,
Make us what thou wouldst have us be.
Thou who art love beyond all telling,
Saviour and King, we worship thee.

3 comments:

Allison Bear said...

Merry Christmas! 77 degrees, bummer! It was pretty cold here in St. Louis, 35 to 40 most of the day. Snow was promised, but didn't come.
See ya'll in a few weeks!

Matthaeus Flexibilis said...

A "manly-man restaurant"? What, you had to have a beard to get in the door? You had to hunt and kill your own food on the wild game preserve out back? You got a discount if you could bench-press the cook? ;-)

Mike said...

You got it, m.f.!