Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My favorite Christmas songs

As I write this, I'm sitting in a restaurant being tortured with some of the worst, most worn-out Christmas songs ever made. But it made me think there are some really great Christmas songs and carols out there. Here are my favorites:
  1. "In the Bleak Midwinter" - Sarah McLachlan has a nice arrangement of this one on her new Christmas CD
  2. "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" - I know, I know...but when you live in Florida you need songs like this one!
  3. "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" - I realize the irony of what I'm about to say, but Barenaked Ladies does a really cool arrangement of this one!
  4. "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming" - I wish churches sang this one still, but I'm afraid it's too hard for most folks
  5. "Thou Who Wast Rich beyond All Splendour" - For the inspiring story behind this hymn, go here.
  6. "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel"
  7. "Infant Holy, Infant Lowly"
  8. "The Holly and the Ivy" - Andrew Peterson and friends do a good job with this song on their Behold the Lamb of God CD
  9. "What Child Is This?"
  10. "Merry Christmas, Darling" by the Carpenters - when I was a teenager I had a crush on Karen Carpenter.
  11. "All My Heart This Night Rejoices"
  12. "Break Forth, O Beauteous Heav'nly Light" - sung to a Bach tune
Here are a couple of stanzas of "Break Forth, O Beauteous Heav'nly Light," written by Johann Rist in 1641. Isn't it sad we don't hear carols like this one more often?

Break forth, O beauteous heavenly light,
And usher in the morning:
Ye shepherds, shrink not with affright
But hear the angels warning;
The child now born in infancy,
Our confidence and joy shall be,
The power of Satan breaking,
Our peace eternal making.

All blessing, thanks, and praise to Thee,
Lord Jesus Christ, be given;
Thou hast our Brother deigned to be,
Our foes in sunder riven;
O grant us through our day of grace,
With constant praise to seek Thy face,
Grant us ere long in glory,
With praise to adore Thee.

1 comment:

Rinnie said...

I love the song "lo, how a rose e'er blooming" - my parents loved that song so we always sang it at Christmas-time. My dad and brother even sang it as a duet one year in church, so I have many happy memories associated with it.