Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Shiner

I got in a fight with a racquetball racket a few days ago, and lost. Praise God, I was wearing goggles. I used to not wear goggles to play racquetball, until I took a ball right in my eye one time. That converted me. This time, my friend (yes, he's still my friend) swung his racket around and I was standing in the way of it. My goggles went flying. I think the bruise is more a result of the goggles banging my cheekbone than the actual racket hitting me.

Here's a lesson learned from this beautiful bruise: Often, things get worse before they get better. That holds true many times when we're struggling to overcome something or when we're working on a problem, say, in marriage. This bruise has gotten uglier and uglier by the hour since last Saturday. The truth is it's actually getting better...but heck, it sure looks disgusting. And it'll probably turn other colors and spread a little more before it starts going away.

So don't give up. It will get better. Galatians 6:9 says, "at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

Your black eye looks a lot like mine. I (along with my son and truck) had a fight with an icy hill. The ice won!

(pix on my blog too)

Merry Christmas