Saturday, January 13, 2007

Children of Men

What can I say...this is a movie experience!

Children of Men
is set in England twenty years in the future. Cynicism, pollution, fear, terrorism, and oppression of minorities have taken their toll on the human race. What's more, for some reason women everywhere are infertile so no babies have been born in quite some time; therefore the human race is threatened with eventual extinction. The main character, Theo Faron (played with excellence by Clive Owen), gets involved in a nail-biting story that I won't spoil for you here. Basically it has to do with...the rescue of humankind!

The movie is rated R for strong violence, bad language, some drug use and brief nudity. There were some violent scenes that I could not watch. So consider yourself advised.

For many people, however, this is one of those movies you'll want to see a second time, to catch everything that's happening on the screen. The scenes of conflict and battle are just sizzling.

One other thing: If you see this movie, notice all the animals in the film.

I felt a deep sadness for the empty lives of many people in the film and for the gut-wrenching way the movie depicts man's inhumanity to man. I'm glad I believe in the power of the gospel to transform the world -- I do not believe planet Earth will be this bad in 2027! Nevertheless, from a Biblical perspective, the movie reminds us that without the gospel all is bleak.

The conflict between the "offspring of the serpent" and the "offspring of the woman" (Genesis 3:15) is real. If there were no gospel, the world would indeed be hopeless in 20 years. But because "to us a child is born" (Isaiah 9:6), the light will overcome the darkness. Satan may indeed bruise the heel of Christ from time to time, but in the end Satan will be crushed. Our "Theo" is sovereign. God will preserve His covenant people, and "the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea" (Habakkuk 2:14).

1 comment:

Paul said...

Mike,

I saw it last night and would agree. It was a great film experience. Someone asked me afterward if I liked it, and I couldn't make up my mind. It was enthralling and very graphic. It made me think and wonder and even mourn a bit for the possibility of something like that becoming reality (though I don't think it will). In some ways it seemed to be a caricature of some life that is already present though. I wonder if the people of Iraq would find it that far fetched (except for the infertility).

It's definitely NOT the Blade Runner of this era though.