Monday, January 01, 2007

The Magic Kingdom


Suzy & I took our granddaughter Tyler to Disney World over the Christmas holidays. (It had been our promise to her after she turned five years old, and she wouldn't let us forget about it!)

Here are a few pictures.

Tyler is absolutely crazy about everything related to Disney, princesses, Mickey & Minnie, Little Mermaid, etc., etc. So you can imagine she was beside herself getting to see all these things for real.

The highlight of the day for me was the fireworks. They were amazing. I thought I'd seen all the fireworks I'd ever care to see, but these beat even the July 4 fireworks in St. Louis that we used to see when we lived there.

It was fun seeing Tyler have such a great time. I wonder if I experienced just a sliver of what God feels when we delight in Him and His blessings? I got joy from watching my granddaughter be enthralled with everything my generosity enabled her to see and do at Disney World. She didn't have to say "thank you" (although she did). She didn't have to carry my tray at lunch, or tell me what a great granddad I am, or serve me in some other way. Just her delight was service and gratitude enough.

Likewise, it brings God joy when we delight in His generosity with us. He doesn't need our "service." What brings Him glory is our delight in Him, our joy in His graciousness, our pleasure in His magical Kingdom. Like John Piper always says, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."

No comments: