Saturday, April 07, 2007

Sanjaya!

OK, I admit it, I like watching American Idol. And by now everyone knows that the talk of this season is Sanjaya Malakar.

He can't sing as well as the other contestants, but every week enough people vote for him that he stays in the running to be the next American Idol...while people much more talented than he is get booted off the show.

A columnist for the Washington Post calls Sanjaya "the Heather Mills of American Idol. Instead of dancing without a leg, he's singing without a vocal cord. A talent amputee."

A writer for the Chicago Tribune says "the show's judges have labeled his performances 'a little pitchy' so often he could qualify for the Cy Young Award."

Despite his bad press, tons of people love him. And Howard Stern is urging all his listeners to keep voting for Sanjaya, I guess as a practical joke played on the nation.

I thought about Sanjaya today, and believe it or not I actually got a spiritual insight: Christians are like Sanjaya. We keep screwing up, but we're still in the game. We fall woefully short, but at the end of the day we're still in God's family, and He's not letting go of us!

Satan levels his critical eye at us and points out all the ridiculous things we do. But after the votes are tallied, we're still standing! Why? Because Jesus votes for us, and His vote trumps everyone else's. At the last day, when the performances come to an end and we're gathered in front of THE judge (not Simon, Paula, and Randy), to everyone's surprise we'll be vindicated, while many people far nicer and more talented and more successful than we are will be cast into the lake of fire.

I know I'm carrying things WAY too far (!), but when I heard Sanjaya getting bashed on talk radio and read all the searing critiques of Sanjaya on the web, it reminded me of the unmerited love of God for undeserving people like me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny thing. Sanjaya has a ton of fans, and all of us think he CAN sing, and sing well. Did you ever listen to his mp3's? Not only that, he's the only person of the 9 left that is in the least interesting to watch and hear. So maybe rethink your blog.

Anonymous said...

"He can't sing and he looks ridiculous, but every week enough people vote for him that he stays in the running to be the next American Idol...while people much more talented than he is get booted off the show."

He can and does sing well and he certainly doesn't look ridiculous to me.

orangejack said...

I've only seen and heard him perform once on AI. It was when he had that fauxhawk you have a photo of. Based on that one performance (and the perception others gave me) I decided that he's not that great.

Pam said...

Wow. The anonymous Sanjaya-lovers are coming out of the wood work. Correction...he can NOT sing well...but he's really fun to watch. Talk about staying in the game even when your down. I have to throw him a bone for that.