Friday, April 06, 2007

What I'm reading...

To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up without a Father by Donald Miller, the author of Blue Like Jazz. He shares a very personal glimpse into his struggles to see God as his Father, which I could identify with very well. Miller always gets me to think deeply and personally about my walk with God, even when I disagree with him. When I put his books down I want to journal or something, just to process further what I've read.

Real Christianity, by William Wilberforce. This book is a modern adaptation by Bob Beltz of Wilberforce's work first published in 1797 entitled Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians, in the Higher and Middle Classes in This Country, Contrasted with Real Christianity (quite a title, huh?!). It's a straightforward book that clarifies what it is that makes someone a Christian. Wilberforce was the driving force behind the abolition of slavery in Great Britain. This book is an inspiring look into the man's heart and theology. Would that a government leader in modern times could write so powerfully and Biblically about the nature of true salvation!

No comments: