Thursday, May 24, 2007

Jonah

Our church is working through the Old Testament book of Jonah right now, both in sermons and small group studies. It's always been one of my favorite books of the Bible. Every time I read Jonah it nails me on my spiritual pride and my slowness to reach out to people in need of Christ. But the book also encourages me by revealing the gracious heart of God toward hardened sinners as well as reluctant saints like me.

Some years ago I ran across these lines from the poet Thomas John Carlisle. He writes about the confrontation of wills between Jonah and God in Jonah 4 this way:

And Jonah stalked
to his shaded seat
and waited for God
to come around
to his way of thinking.

And God is still waiting
for a host of Jonahs
in their comfortable homes
to come around
to His way of loving.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I was really convicted of my self-righteousness, too. So often I commend myself to God...as if I have anything of value to offer.