On Friday, we all gathered on the beach for a family picture. Left to right: our son David & his wife Lindsay; me; my bride Suzy; our daughter Jennifer and her husband Tim; our daughter Rebecca holding grandson Tate; Rebecca's husband Scott with grandkids Tyler & Eben; and son Michael. Missing from the picture is my mother-in-law Nell who couldn't join us on the beach.
We try to get away together as a family once a year. Last year it was skiing in the Catskills. The year before that it was a week at Crescent Beach when Jennifer got married.
One of the things I most enjoyed this year was that each night, a different couple or group was responsible for the family meal. I haven't eaten so well in months! Sunday night Jennifer & Tim made kebobs. Monday night Rebecca & Scott made fajitas. Tuesday night David & Lindsay made an Italian dish with a name I can't remember. Wednesday night was Suzy's and my night; we grilled hamburgers. Thursday night was ladies' night; they made up a huge salad with all kinds of stuff in it. And Friday night was guys' night; we had steamed shrimp. It's hard to say which meal was best!
Some highlights of the week:
- Most fun activity of the week: body-surfing
- Most fun game played: Catch Phrase
- Biggest surprise: It cost $20 to rent two beach chairs and an umbrella!
- Least friendly person we met: the woman in whose private parking space we parked one day
- Best read: Mere Christianity
- Grossest activity: picking up garbage after raccoons got into the trash cans outside
- Grocery store of the week: Harris Teeter (what a name)
- Worst restaurant experience: the "Happy Tomato" in Fernandina Beach (inappropriately named)
- Best time with my wife: riding bikes around Amelia Island
- Biggest pizza ever: we got a pizza delivered for lunch on Sunday...I figure it had to be 3' by 3' square at least (see picture)