Friday, July 13, 2007

Sermon preparation of another kind

I'm preaching this Sunday on what to do when you're stressed out. Well, God had a sense of humor today and wanted me to experience stress firsthand instead of getting my sermon done.

Here's what happened.

First, I was awakened at 3:00 a.m. this morning by the sound of our clothes dryer. It seems that one of our family members, who will remain unnamed, decided to do HIS wash in the middle of the night.

I couldn't go back to sleep.

So I decided to get up and work on my sermon a little bit. I had put 8 hours of work into it the day before. When I tried to find it on my computer, it had magically disappeared. I thought, "No problem, I'll go to the church later this morning and synch my documents with the server and it'll pop up." I didn't want to lose it.

But alas, it wasn't on the server either.

So I got our computer service company on the phone, and spent the next 2-3 hours doing everything he told me to do...to no avail. By noon today it was obvious I would have to start all over again.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that earlier this morning I also played raquetball. I lost both games.

So now it's noon, right. I'm hungry. I go to Chick-Fil-A for a chargrilled chicken combo. When I walk into Chick-Fil-A it is crammed with people. There are these huge families that had emerged from big vans, and everybody's dressed up like cows. Seems Chick-Fil-A was doing a promotion of some kind today: come dressed like a cow and you get a free meal. Well, these moms brought their huge families, and the moms and all the kids were dressed like cows. It took forever for them to get their free meals.

And while I'm waiting in line to order, in behind me comes wave after wave of high school cheerleaders. They must have been at some cheerleading camp at UCF, and decided to go to Chick-Fil-A for lunch all at the same time. So after I get my food, I can hardly walk anywhere because of the throng of cheerleaders. I am not kidding, they took up every square inch of Chick-Fil-A.

I finally got to a table, sat down and ate my pitiful chicken sandwich.

So I had to start all over on my sermon this afternoon. Hopefully it'll be ready by Sunday. What's ironic is that my sermon's all about trusting our sovereign God during times of stress.

Guess I've got a lot to learn about that too.

2 comments:

karin said...

I shouldn't laugh....but I'm laughing.

First, I dressed like a cow.

Second, I spent far too long today with my internet cable tech guy troubleshooting

Third, okay, i don't have a third but since pastors usually have 3 points, I thought I should.

Can't wait for Sunday, Mike!

Anna said...

This reminds me of a line in a Derek Webb song (well, I guess he was still with Caedmon's Call at the time) - "This day's been crazy, but everything's happened on schedule - from the rain and the cold to the drink that I spilled on my shirt. 'Cause you knew how you'd save me before I fell dead in the garden. And you knew this day long before you made me out of dirt."

Obviously, it's about God sovereignty. And I get a kick to think that all those things happened to you "on schedule." It's at least sort of comforting, isn't it? :o)