Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Dentist

I went to the dentist today. That is one of my most dreaded and unpleasant experiences. I think it goes back to my childhood days. My dentist in Union, SC, was trained I think by Nazis. He was a sadist! So when I go to the dentist now, I still tense up like crazy and have a hard time being a nice Christian pastor.

My dentist here in Orlando is the nicest, most gentle guy in the world. It's his dental hygienist that intimidates me. Which is weird, because she's this petite young thing with the softest voice you ever heard. But then when she gets that sharp, steel instrument in her hands she gets brutal! And the debridement...ohhh my, she becomes an expert in torture!

Look, I do my teeth right. I floss every night, I use this special electric toothbrush sold by my dentist, I brush at least twice a day. So why must she carve up my gums and dig down between my teeth like she does?! Every time she starts working on me I think of that awful scene in Marathon Man (1976) where Laurence Olivier (playing a Nazi-trained dentist like my childhood dentist) straps Dustin Hoffman into a chair and drills holes in his teeth. It's one of the most unwatchable movie scenes ever!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you that I've had to start getting the gas mask when I go to the dentist? I had two panic attacks before my dentist finally suggested it. What I didn't want to tell him was that, like you, it wasn't him that I was scared of, it was the hygenist! She hurts!

- Love ya, Jenn

Anonymous said...

Me, too (about the panic attacks!) It just started recently as I've gotten older. My dentist tried the gas, but it just made it worse, so he wrote me a RX for valium to take before I come in! I think it's more of a claustrophobia thing with me. I've had lots of dental work in the last couple of years (crowns, root canals) and a very small mouth, so I start feeling like I couldn't breath. Anyway, it's only happened a couple of times, but, now it's always in the back of my mind. Bummer! mwp

Brent and Darcy said...

Mike...is it safe?

Matthaeus Flexibilis said...

I have the nicest hygienist ever -- Barb -- and she works for Dr. Sunshine (really!). She gives you a gum massage when she's done cleaning.

My worst story about dentists, though, is that I was a patient of that dentist who gave several people AIDS. Providence protected me there!

Mike said...

Wow, MF - I'm glad you're still with us!

Anonymous said...

My childhood dentist was a pedophile. I think I would have rather had a nazi.