Saturday, August 04, 2007

Fab Four

Last night I took my son Michael on a short road trip. We drove over to Daytona Beach. First we ate out at the Outback Steakhouse, and I told him that money was no object - we were going to eat anything we wanted. Michael had a big steak, and I had a full rack of baby back ribs. Delicious. Then we went to a concert. Since we are both big Beatles fans, I had bought tickets to see The Fab Four. It's billed as "the ultimate tribute to the Beatles"...and I'd agree. They were excellent!

Their website looks really cheesy, and at times the concert was too. But these guys are amazing. They dress, look, talk, and sound like the Beatles. They came out first as the Beatles appeared in their U.S. concerts in the mid-'60s, and did a set of the old standards: "She Loves You," "A Hard Day's Night," "Eight Days a Week," etc. They used all the same instruments as the Beatles, and had mastered their idiosyncrasies, vocals, guitar-playing styles - everything. Michael & I were impressed that "Paul" was even left handed.

Then after a short break, the band came out dressed in the uniforms from the Sgt. Pepper album. They played a set of songs from that era. Then another break, and out they came dressed as the Beatles appeared after their break-up when they were doing solo albums, to perform another set of songs from the Let It Be and White Album days.

I liked watching "George" best. Not only was he an excellent guitar player, but his imitation of George was spot on. "John" sounded most like . . . John. (Unfortunately, he performed Lennon's song "Imagine" late in the concert, which is one of the saddest songs ever written because of its vision of a world without God and thus without the hope it tries to promote. But, "John" performed the song very well.)

Best songs of the evening: "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "A Day in the Life." How those four guys, without any pre-recorded effects or other musicians, did such faithful renditions of those two songs, I'll never know.

This was a symbolic road trip for me. Michael heads off to FSU next weekend. So I wanted to have one "last" good time with him before he's officially a college student. Of course, our relationship is not ending. But I saw this as a fun way to close one chapter of our relationship and begin another.

The Fab Four tours a lot, so if you like the Beatles you will definitely like them. I'll go again!

2 comments:

Camiseta Personalizada said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Matthaeus Flexibilis said...

I cannot tell you how long I have been searching the net for personalized Portuguese T-shirts. Thanks for your comment!