Monday, February 11, 2008

What I'm doing for devotions...

For the Love of God, by D. A. Carson. The sub-title of the book is "A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word." Each day's reading starts with a selection from Robert Murray M'Cheyne's Bible reading plan - which, if followed, gets you through the whole Bible in a year. Then Carson (professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) comments upon one of the Scripture passages for that day.

Carson now has two volumes of For the Love of God, each of which follows the one-year M'Cheyne reading plan. I bought just the second volume. Also, I'm only reading half of the M'Cheyne plan each day, which means I'll be taking two years to get through the Bible.

What I like about this devotional book is that Carson's comments take you into and behind the Scriptures to see Christ and God's unfolding plan of redemption in the Word. So many devotional books are of the "be nice today" variety. They miss the gospel and focus on "inspiring" you to better Christian behavior. Carson leads me to Jesus, and that's what I need at the start of the day.

No comments: