Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lars and the Real Girl

My wife and I watched Lars and the Real Girl earlier this week. Loved it. Ryan Gosling is excellent as Lars Lindstrom. He suffers terribly from family history issues of which we're given only bare hints. He plays the unusual role convincingly and with passion. I won't spoil the movie by telling you what he does to cope. While unusual, it's really not that different from what we all do to find hope in the midst of our brokenness.

What I liked most about the movie was its portrayal of the "pastoral care" given Lars by his family, co-workers, and church. (Yes, finally a positive picture of church life!!) It's very uplifting - and, I must say, convicting.

Interestingly, Nancy Oliver, who wrote the story, attended Florida State. Her screenplay was nominated for an Oscar.

5 comments:

Vic said...

Mike, good to see you actively blogging and reviewing movies. Keep it up!

Becky Williams said...

I have never heard of this movie, but I recently saw the movie, "The Notebook" with Ryan Gosling in it and I really like him as a young actor. So, maybe I will give your movie suggestion a try! ~Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike...no comment, just wanted to say hi from Thailand. Leaving for Orlando in a couple minutes. Russ

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad! Tim and I just saw this movie the other day.... really really loved it; good suggestion!

We'll have to talk about it soon... WHEN YOU COME AND VISIT ME!

Jenn

mchynoweth said...

mike and i also really loved this movie. it wasn't what we expected, but it is such a neat picture of what christian community should alway be willing to go through for the ones they love (or even the ones they don't). we recommended it to mike's parents