Friday, April 18, 2008

Worship of God Conference

This weekend I'm enjoying the Worship of God Conference at Christ Community Church in Franklin, Tennessee. Jonathan Noel, our church's worship director, is here with me. This is the second time I've been to this conference at CCC. The first time was way back in 1997 or '98. I am here to be refreshed after several intense weeks at the church, and for Jonathan and me to spend time together talking about our lives, about worship, and about our hopes and dreams for our church.

This morning we heard a very meaningful message by Nate Larkin, author of Samson and the Pirate Monks. He shared his story about the many years he put up a "Saint Nate" front and hid his true self from people, rather than being open about his addiction. Through the gospel, and particularly through community with other believers, Nate was able to learn to live authentically in the church. His talk inspired me to live more honestly before others. I also want to look into starting up a Samson Society meeting of men at our church.

Here are some of my take-aways from Nate's talk that deserve some more pondering:
  • It's not so much our sin that keeps us from God but our supposed righteousness.
  • The gospel is too big for one person to carry. We need someone else in our journey to remind us of the gospel every day.
  • Every day, I need to pick up the phone and tell someone else the truth about what I'm feeling, what I'm doing, and/or what I'm thinking about doing. (Scary!)
  • Christianity is a team sport. Jesus brought me into a personal relationship with him, not a private relationship.
  • Moralistic Christianity leads to either delusion ("I'm invincible") or despair ("I'm such a loser").

3 comments:

Erik said...

I'd be interested in the Samson Society, as long as we don't get blinded and crushed by falling buildings.

erik said...

What I should have said was, it would be really great to have a way to connect with other Christian men. How can I help?

karin said...

Hahahahahaaahahahaahaha! (Okay, that was more for Erik)