Saturday, June 28, 2008

Beach vacation

I just finished a great week of vacation at Daytona Beach with my wife and oldest daughter and her family (plus brief, overnight visits from two of our other kids). We stayed at the Wyndham Ocean Walk Resort, which turned out to be an awesome place for our 3 grandkids (ages 6, 3, and 1). There's enough to keep you occupied at this hotel that you could almost get away with not going out on the beach.

But of course, we did spend many hours on the beach.

My favorite thing to do at the beach is get up under a beach umbrella, sit in a chair, and read a book. And doze off to sleep every now and then. When I get hot I go ride a few waves to cool off. This time, since our 3 grandkids were with us, I would often play with them in the waves or walk them down to the ice cream truck to get them an ice cream bar. It cost me $3 every time Tyler, Eben, or Tate talked me into buying them an ice cream bar. But I wouldn't care how much it cost, this was a highlight of the week for me! Granddads have to buy ice cream bars for their grandkids.

One of the books I read this week was Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog, by John Grogan. Grogan is a journalist who wrote this book about his yellow Labrador Retriever, Marley. It's a fun and easy read but breaks your heart at times and makes you want a dog...which is OUT OF THE QUESTION!!

(By the way, a movie based on this book will be coming out this Christmas. Also, Grogan maintains an interesting website that consists of his blog and readers' stories about their dogs. Dog lovers should visit that.)

I also spent some time reading commentaries on Ecclesiastes, which I'm going to be preaching through in July and August. You may think that's not something a minister should do on vacation, but truthfully I don't ordinarily get time to leisurely read commentaries, and I actually enjoy it.

1 comment:

Hana said...

glad you had a great trip, Mike. we're just wrapping up ours, and we are eager to get home to "regular life". i had to laugh at your "leisurely reading commentaries" remark...but i do know someone with similar behaviors. ;)