Friday, August 15, 2008

Back to the empty nest again

This has been an eventful week. My wife and I drove up to Tallahassee on Monday to help our son Michael move into an apartment and prepare for his second year of college at FSU.

We enjoyed having him home all summer. One of the benefits was that he and a friend of his (who also shared our upstairs for the summer) took turns mowing the lawn for me! Now I'm going to have to go back to sweating it out behind the lawnmower every 5-7 days by myself again.

Seriously, though, it was great having Michael around for an extended time, after being without during his freshman year. I enjoy eating out with him and watching certain TV shows we both like. We are also both movie-holics. I forget all the movies we saw together this summer. The worst one was You Don't Mess with the Zohan. Please, don't see that movie. Don't rent the DVD. It's awful. If you didn't like Zoolander, you REALLY won't like Zohan.

Anyway, it took two cars and a U-Haul truck to get Michael's stuff moved into his apartment. We had bought him a bunch of new apartment furniture at Ikea here in Orlando. Have you ever been to Ikea? It's a regular metropolis. Enormous place. The good thing is, the furniture they sell is cheap and it looks good. I'm not sure how long it will last, but it looks good. When we arrived in Tallahassee it took a couple days to put everything together. Now his apartment rocks.

The directions they pack inside Ikea boxes are funny. I guess they're printed up in Denmark or Sweden or wherever Ikea is headquartered. There are no words, only pictures. It takes a while to figure out what the symbols are trying to tell you, but once you get them figured out it's actually pretty easy. I just wish they would name items with words that make sense in America. Like, the name of Michael's bed is "Malm." The name of his sofa is "Klippan." What is that supposed to mean?

So now it's down to Suzy and me again. The house is quiet, especially the upstairs. Nobody's coming home at 2:00 in the morning. We can park easily in our driveway. No Radiohead songs on the stereo. No Coke cans and water bottles scattered around. Now I can raise the thermostat upstairs again and save a little money.

I miss him already.

4 comments:

Jill said...

I bet you do miss him! I'm sad for Natalie to go to Kindergarten and already know I will miss her those hours she is gone from me.
As for IKEA, that is a crazy place. It's amazing to me how much stuff they have and I love that the prices are reasonable. I haven't bought too much from there, but most people really rave about the quality for the price.

kristinwithani said...

Mike, this should make you feel better. I furnished my dorm room in college 19 years ago from IKEA. I STILL have some of those items!
And, I just saved up $$ to go back and buy a chair and ottoman for my living room after seeing them in a friend's home. They have 3 children under 6 and white slip covers. That said more than words to me about the quality.
Can't believe Michael is that old!

Mike said...

That's encouraging, Kristin! Thanks!

Tim said...

So...what if you *did* like Zoolander?