Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Cardboard testimonies

This past Sunday, our worship service concluded with something called "cardboard testimonies." Our worship director and I picked up the idea from a video we'd seen from another church, and he invited a number of our people to participate.

About 25 people came forward at the end of the service and walked across the stage holding a cardboard sign written on both sides. On Side A was a brief description of something each person has struggled with at some point in the past, or still struggles with. On Side B was an equally short description of what God has done to help them with that struggle.

It was very moving. Many of the testimonies were about very personal things, and I was inspired by the people's willingness to be real. The fact that the testimonies were written on cardboard, rather than spoken, took away the intimidation factor. The congregation was visibly moved as they read how God has helped real people with addictions, loss, unhealthy relationships, perfectionism, and the like.

It's so encouraging when people tell others how God has stepped into their pain.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I'm so disappointed I missed this. (The kids were sick so I took them home after the baptism.) I heard from many people that this was really moving for them.

karin said...

Aw man, I was out of town!

Thanks, Mike, for leading our church so that it's a place where we can be honest about our struggles, disappointments, and brokenness. UPC is the first place I learned that you don't have to clean yourself up before you come to Christ. I love lyrics in the hymn, "If you tarry 'till your better, you will never come at all."

The grace of Jesus Christ. Sometimes, it just leaves me speechless.