Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Taken

I saw the new Liam Neeson movie, Taken, last night. It was a pretty good action flick. The story goes like this: Neeson plays Bryan Mills, a divorced ex-spy whose daughter gets abducted in France while vacationing with a friend of hers. So he puts on his spy hat again and goes out after her, single-handedly rescuing her from dozens of evil Albanians.

Pretty far-fetched, but the old man still packs a punch and doesn't give up until mission is accomplished. Along the way there are lots of dead bodies. Somehow Neeson's character manages to escape being hit by any of the thousands of bullets fired at him, while he picks off bad guys right and left with pistols.

There is spiritual insight in this movie, as formulaic as it may sound. Here we have a father who, although a broken man, will not rest until he has his child safely home. I thought of the parable of the shepherd who leaves the ninety-nine sheep in the fold and goes out searching for the one lost sheep.

I'm grateful Jesus did that for me. When I was "taken" by the world, the flesh, and the devil, he gave his life to bring me safely home.

And he continues to do that every day.

1 comment:

Matthaeus Flexibilis said...

I remember coming home from my first UPC paintball outing, adrenaline still pumping, and turning on the TV to find Arnold Schwarzenegger's movie "Commando" playing, which has a similar plot.

The thing that immediately became apparent to me -- after having just being pinned down under enemy fire and trying to sneak about and shoot them before they shot me -- is how unrealistic Arnold's bullet dodging was. It's stinking hard to avoid low velocity, low frequency paint balls shot by amateurs; how much harder is it to avoid high velocity, high frequency bullets fired by professional bodyguards and compound security forces, even if they weren't in the top of their class? Answer: Quite.

I turned the TV off in disgust.