Sunday, May 10, 2009

David

My son David, age 28 (pictured here with his wonderful wife Lindsay), graduated from FSU School of Law this weekend. I'm so proud of him! I cannot imagine how much reading and writing it took for him to get through law school, but I know it was a ton. On top of that he was a committed member of his church, a faithful husband, a good friend, a follower of Christ. Thanks for letting me brag.

If I had to choose only one adjective to describe David, it would be the word sensitive. He has an extraordinary sensitivity to the feelings of others. He perceives emotions in me that I'm not even aware of. He's always been moved by the calamities of others. He weeps easily whether from joy or sadness. He feels the brokenness of the world, the abandonment of abused children, the injustice of abortion, the foolishness of unbelief.

I remember one of the first times I ever saw this sensitivity in David was on a family vacation to Washington, DC, when David was a little boy of 5 or 6. We happened to walk past a homeless man on a street corner. As the rest of us averted our glance and kept our eyes on the streetlight, David stopped and just looked at the homeless man. I looked back and saw in David's eyes a sort of understanding, of sympathy, of pain that his face could not hide. He squinted somewhat as if to keep from crying. I've seen that same look many times since that day. In David I see a reflection of God's heart of compassion and grace.

I'm excited to see how God is going to use David and Lindsay as they embark on the next chapter of their lives. Oh, and they are expecting their first child in October!

God bless you and yours, David. Thank you for showing me, and countless others, the humility and sensitivity of Christ.

No comments: