Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Taking of Pelham 123

A few weeks ago I went to the new movie, The Taking of Pelham 123, starring Denzel Washington and John Travolta. It's a remake of the 1974 movie of the same name which starred Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw.

If you like action movies, this one has aplenty. If you don't care about character development or realistic storytelling, you'll probably like it. I do, and I didn't.

But the real reason I'm posting about The Taking of Pelham 123 is to point out something that has increased dramatically since 1974 - intolerably foul language in movies. I couldn't believe the number of F-bombs I had to listen to on the way to finding out how the good guys were going to get the bad guys. It was ridiculous. Later, I checked screenit.com, and found there are at least 102 "f" words plus other expletives in this movie.

Is that really necessary? Hollywood people, why do you do this to us? Why can't you build a movie around an interesting story, good acting, compelling dialogue, and things like that? Must you litter the movie with language that leaves us feeling like we need a bath afterwards? Movies about sinful people and tragic events are one thing; movies that depend on profanity to entertain the audience are quite another.

No need to see this movie. You'll know how it turns out after the first 15 minutes anyway.

No comments: