Monday, July 06, 2009

What God is looking for

I read Psalm 50 for my morning devotions today. It speaks to probably the most important question one could ask: What does God expect from human beings? Psalm 50 answers: dependence upon him.

Psalm 50 presents God as an inescapable Judge. He comes from Mt. Zion in majestic, holy beauty, and summons all humanity to stand before him. He presents the charges against us. It's not that we haven't brought him enough animal sacrifices. It's not that we've forgotten to go to church. We've forgotten HIM. We haven't been thankful. We haven't needed him.

What God says he's looking for is dependence. He says, "Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and keep the vows you made to the Most High. Then call on me when you are in trouble,
and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory.”

The essence of sin is independence from God, and we're guilty. I'm guilty. I think I can make it through the day with bare lip service toward God. I rush through prayers, I offer a quick apology for not being a better Christian, I hardly notice the evidences of God's glory and beauty around me in people and nature. I give him little or no thanks for his million mercies.

God says in Psalm 50:22, "Repent, all you who forget me." I hear him saying, "Stop being so self-reliant. Stop building your Tower of Babel-independence. Call on me." John Piper likes to say, "Keep buzzing the nurse."

I'm struck that thanklessness reveals more about the heart than anything else. When we fail to give thanks, it reveals that we really don't feel a need for God.

God, help me this day to make thankfulness my sacrifice to you, and to honor you through dependence.

1 comment:

karin said...

I'm loving this sabbatical of yours! We still get Mike!!!

Yesterday's sermon from Dr. Coffield was called "Happy Dependence Day." It sounds like the message of dependence is something God is really wanting the UPC family to hear. Thanks for sharing what you are learning.