Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Talitha's Baptism

Last weekend my wife and I drove up to Tallahassee for the baptism of our granddaughter Talitha - our son David and his wife Lindsay's first child. I was honored they had asked me to perform the baptism. Their pastor, Mo Leverett, was kind enough to let me have that honor and to assist by holding the water and asking the congregational question.

I was moved to tears when, after explaining to the church the meaning of baptism as a sign and seal of the covenant of grace, I took Talitha in my arms and looked at David and Lindsay. It was time to ask them the three questions I always ask parents at baptisms. But I lost it. It was simply overwhelming to see how faithful God has been to me and my family. David and Lindsay love Jesus. They are also wonderful parents who will rear Talitha to know and follow Jesus.

As I stood there I also thought of my other children - Rebecca, Jennifer, and Michael - and recalled the promise that God gave Abraham 3,000 years ago: "I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you" (Genesis 17:7). God has been good to me beyond my deserving in giving me four wonderful kids. The three oldest ones are married, and they have equally wonderful spouses.

Something that made the baptism extra special was that Mo Leverett sang a song he had written for and about Talitha. It was truly beautiful and moving. Mo is an accomplished singer-songwriter and has made several records. I appreciate how he so thoughtfully ministers to his flock. Shortly after the baptism Mo preached an excellent sermon on Philippians 3:1-11.

After the worship service the whole church celebrated Talitha's baptism with a potluck lunch. I was touched by the love Centerpoint Church has for families like my son's. It's a warm, gospel-loving body trying to reach the urban neighborhoods of Tallahassee.

Lord, thank you for allowing me to experience the truth of Psalm 127:4-5 - "Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons [and daughters!] born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."

1 comment:

Jill H said...

That's awesome, Mike. Reading this moved me to tear up as well. :-) What a blessing indeed!