Thursday, April 22, 2010

Michael

My fourth (and youngest) child, James Michael, turns 21 years old today.

I posted about Michael almost exactly three years ago, when he was about to graduate from high school. Now he's a rising senior at Florida State University. Time has passed quickly. It's been awesome to see Michael grow in maturity, knowledge, talent, and vision for the future.

He is a creative writing major at FSU. I know I'm biased, but his writing is excellent. He's a senior staff writer for the FSU campus newspaper. He writes for the Arts & Life section, where his passion for movies and music shows. Recently he got a big promotion.

Over the years, I have loved all the things Michael and I have done together. We've eaten lots of burgers together. We've seen lots of movies and gone to some concerts together. Last year he, my other son David, and I went skiing in Vermont. In August of last year Michael and I visited Seattle together. I'll never forget walking around the waterfront with him and all the good food we had.

When Michael was little, he played baseball and soccer - all the little kid sports. In high school he developed as an actor and writer. He's a great communicator and wordsmith, an insightful thinker, an amazing dancer, a good singer, a discerning audiophile, a loving uncle to his nieces and nephews, and a guy who cares for his friends and family. One of his qualities I like most is his authenticity. He is not a fake, and I admire that. He's funny, serious, humble, and sensitive. I could go on and on.

Forget his accomplishments; I just love him for the person he is.

Happy birthday Michael. May it always be true of you, "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit" (Jeremiah 17:7-8).

1 comment:

Joan said...

You love your kids and grandkids so well. That is just one of the things I admire about you.