Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer reading list

It's been a good season of turning pages for me. A week's vacation at the beach is a great help. Here are some of the books I've read or am reading this summer...
  • The Language of God, by Francis S. Collins, head of the Human Genome Project. Collins is a Christian but also a believer in theistic evolution. He rejects intelligent design and creationism, but manages to hold on to the idea that God created all things out of nothing. I struggle mightily to reconcile Collins' arguments with the Bible's teaching about, for example, Adam and Eve (see next book on my list). But I'm glad he's on our side.
  • Did Adam and Eve Really Exist?, by C. John Collins. This Collins, professor of Old Testament at my alma mater, Covenant Theological Seminary, responds to the previous Collins and to others who are abandoning belief in a historical Adam and Eve. I agree with the author that "the traditional understanding of of Adam and Eve as our first parents...is the view articulated or presupposed in Genesis, in Paul, and above all, in the Gospel presentation of Jesus. The alternatives are less satisfactory, and possibly even disastrous...." (pg. 133).
  • Decision Points, by George W. Bush. This book reveals many personal as well as executive aspects of the Bush presidency of which I was unaware.
  • A Patriot's History of the United States, by Larry Schweikart and Michael Allen. I love reading US history, and this book written by two conservative professors of history covers the whole story all the way into the post-9/11 years. The authors' intent is to give a fair and honest review of American history with particular focus on the ideas of character, liberty, and property.
  • Shadow Divers, by Robert Kurson. This is a fascinating, true chronicle about the 1991 discovery of a German WWII U-boat sunk sixty miles off the coast of New Jersey. The book focuses on the contributions of two divers in particular: John Chatterton and Richie Kohler. The author takes you into these guys' personal stories and underwater to find answers to questions about the U-boat's origin, crew, and tragic demise. I got so wrapped up in the tale that I bought a DVD called "Hitler's Lost Sub" and watched the 1981 film Das Boot. I had no idea German U-boats sank so many of our ships during WWII and patrolled right off the US coastline!

No comments: