Saturday, April 14, 2012

What I'm Reading

I've got way too many reading projects going on right now (thanks to my Kindle), but they're all good. For enrichment as a church leader I'm reading Leading Change by John Kotter and Made To Stick by the Heath brothers. For personal devotions I'm reading through the Bible using the NIV One Year Bible, along with a daily reading from Sarah Young's Jesus Calling (and if you've never heard of that, it's not just for women and it ministers well to the soul).

For ministry enrichment I'm into David Platt's popular book Radical. A friend and I are working through John Frame's Salvation Belongs to the Lord. And for pure pleasure I'm reading Growing Up Amish by Ira Wagler and Stephen King's 11/22/63.

Speaking of that last book, I've never read anything by Stephen King. You'd normally think of him as a writer of horror stories, and I'm not particularly into horror stories. But 11/22/63 is not a horror story (at least not yet). Here's a synopsis: A high school teacher stumbles upon a "doorway" into the past and returns to 1958. He wants to find Lee Harvey Oswald, kill him before he has a chance to assassinate JFK, and change history for the better. But as you might guess, he runs into all sorts of surprises along the way that make his mission difficult. I'm only about a third of the way into the book and it runs nearly 850 pages. So don't tell me what happens.

1 comment:

Matthaeus Flexibilis said...

Frame's next book is a one-volume systematics text, starting from the book you mention and his theology of lordship series and also covering the rest of the topics in systematics that he doesn't usually teach, like atonement, eschatology, etc. Should be interesting!