Friday, December 28, 2012

Not a Norman Rockwell Christmas

If Norman Rockwell had dropped by the Osborne home over Christmas 2012, he would not have painted one of his happy holiday paintings. Because this is what he would have seen and heard...
  • babies crying at all hours of the day and night
  • young and old alike doubled over with fever, headaches, and stomach viruses
  • people running to the bathroom to throw up
  • people running to the bathroom to... you know
  • people cleaning up baby messes
  • wrapping paper, dirty dishes, leftovers, and dog hair everywhere
  • families leaving sooner than planned because they didn't want to stay in our petri dish of a house
My computer will show zero photos from this year's family "celebration." There was simply nothing photogenic about Christmas 2012!

But then...

I will always cherish watching my adult kids deal graciously with trial and being great parents and friends in spite of it all.

I will never forget my special all-day time (at Monkey Joe's, McDonalds, Bright Light Books, Wreck-It Ralph, pet store, and Subway) with my three oldest grandkids, because we didn't want to hang out with the sickies.

I grew yet another ton in admiration for my amazing wife Suzy, who knows how to give Jesus-love to people when they are sick and unhappy.

And of course I will enjoy my new Kindle Fire HD!

I also thought...

If Norman Rockwell had happened by the manger of Bethlehem 2,000 years ago, he would not have painted one of his happy paintings of the first Christmas. He would have seen and heard a baby crying at all hours of the day and night...filth, chaos, and confusion...and a family leaving sooner than planned because of the brokenness of this world.

So I suppose it was a pretty cool Christmas for my family and me after all.

No comments: